X (Twitter) lowers eligibility threshold for ads revenue sharing program
The changes were announced after X was criticised for failing to pay content creators on time earlier this month.
X, formerly known as Twitter, has reduced the eligibility threshold for its ads revenue sharing program.
Verified creators now need to have generated 5 million impressions in the previous three months – as opposed to 15 million.
In addition, the company has also lowered the minimum payout requirement to $10 instead of $50, enabling more content creators to get paid for posting on the Elon Musk-owned platform.
Why we care. X’s ads revenue sharing program was criticised for failing to pay creators on time and making its eligibility threshold extremely high. Lowering its criteria could be a step in the right direction in terms of damage control, building trust and encouraging creators, as well as advertisers, to return to the platform.
Who is eligible now? To be considered for the creator ads revenue sharing program, your account must meet the following criteria:
- Subscribed to Blue or Verified Organizations.
- Have at least 5 million impressions on cumulative posts within the last three months.
- Have at least 500 followers.
If your account meets these conditions, you must have a Stripe account – X’s payment processor. You’ll also need to follow X’s Ads Revenue Share Terms (e.g., the Creator Monetization Standards and the X Rules).
Get the daily newsletter search marketers rely on.
How it works. If your account is eligible, this is how to get started:
- Join and set up payments from within the Monetization section of the app, which can be found in the side menu on iOS and Android, and the overflow menu on web.
- Click on Join and setup payouts, which will redirect you to Stripe.
- Setup a Stripe account to receive your share – this is the account you will need to transfer funds to your external bank account.
- Once you opt in, you will receive payouts at a regular cadence, so long as you have generated more than $10.
What has X Said? A spokesperson announced the news on the company's official X account:
- "Now, even more people can get paid to post! We’ve lowered the eligibility threshold for ads revenue sharing from 15M to 5M impressions within the last 3 months."
- "We’ve also lowered the minimum payout threshold from $50 to $10. Sign up for a Premium subscription to get access."
Deep dive. Read X's Ads Revenue Sharing guide for more information.
New on Search Engine Land